5 Therapeutic Benefits of Chiropractic Everyone Needs to Know
If you’ve never visited a chiropractor, you are missing out on some incredible benefits. Not only is chiropractic a drug-free and surgery-free path to natural healing, but it has also been proven to improve back pain, headaches, ear infections, neck pain, joint pain, arthritis, scoliosis, asthma, blood pressure, pregnancy, organ function, headaches, migraines, and much more.
- Low Back and Neck Pain. In a study funded by NIH’s National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine to test the effectiveness of different approaches for treating neck pain, 272 participants were divided into three groups that received either spinal manipulative therapy from a doctor of chiropractic (DC), pain medication (over-the-counter pain relievers, narcotics and muscle relaxants), or exercise recommendations.After 12 weeks, about 57 percent of those who met with chiropractors, and 48 percent who exercised, reported at least a 75 percent reduction in pain, while only 33 percent of the people in the medication group reported improvements. After one year, approximately 53 percent of the drug-free groups continued to report at least a 75 percent reduction in pain, compared to just 38 percent pain reduction among those who took medication.
- Headaches. Headaches are the second most common condition that chiropractors treat. There are more than 230 peer-reviewed articles referencing chiropractic’s ability to help cure, prevent, or ease headaches and migraines.One group trial found that 22 percent of people who had chiropractic treatment for headaches saw the number of attacks drop by 90 percent. In that same study, 49 percent said they had a significant reduction in pain intensity.
- Athletic Performance. There is a reason why many professional athletes like Michael Phelps, Jerry Rice, and entire NFL teams are under regular chiropractic care.Studies have shown that regular chiropractic care:
- Reduces inflammation
- Boosts the immune system
- Enhances pulmonary function
- Decreases mental and oxidative stress
- Relieves muscle tension
- Naturally increases energy levels
- Colic and Ear Infections. A 2012 study published in Journal of Manipulative Physiological Therapeutics found that chiropractic adjustments greatly reduced colic symptoms. There are also hundreds of cases describing how children suffering from ear infections, acid reflux, and colic have experienced complete to near complete resolution to their ailments after just a few chiropractic visits.
- Blood Pressure. In 2007, George Bakris, an expert on blood pressure, published a study with a team of researchers in the Human Journal of Hypertension proving that one upper cervical chiropractic adjustment had the same effect as two blood pressure-lowering drugs. Moreover, the effects of just one adjustment lasted more than six months.Other studies have shown similar findings with hypotensive patients, and their low blood pressure was raised to normal levels after chiropractic care.