More than 1 million people in the United States get cancer each year, and a projected 562,340 deaths from cancer are projected to occur in the U.S. every year as a result. With such a high mortality rate, it is up to us to fuel ourselves with the best nutrition possible, as you truly are what you eat. By practicing strategies such as eating cancer fighting foods, exercising, and getting adequate sleep, we are able to do our best for our bodies in order to protect them from harm.
Check out this list of 5 cancer fighting foods:
1. Leafy green vegetables. Rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and enzymes, while being low in calories, fats, sodium, and other toxins, leafy green vegetables are packed with nutrients known to combat cancer.
2. Berries. The ORAC scores of most berries are very high, making them some of the most antioxidant rich foods in the world. The proanthocyanidin antioxidants found in most berries are linked to lowering free radical damage.
3. Bright orange colored fruits and vegetables. Brightly colored plant foods indicate they are rich in phytochemicals — especially carotenoid antioxidants. Carotenoids are derivatives of vitamin A, and pack in benefits such as detoxification, liver health, immune functioning, and fighting cancers of the skin, eyes, and organs.
4. Fresh herbs and spices. Many herbs act as immune system boosters, such as ginger, raw garlic, thyme, cayenne pepper, oregano, basil, and parsley. Most impressive, turmeric, contains the active ingredient curcumin, and has been linked to decreasing tumor size, fighting colon and breast cancer, and fighting inflammation!
5. Organic meats. Organic meats such as beef or chicken liver are often recommended on cancer-fighting diets, as they are some of the most nutrient dense foods in the world. Eating animal proteins gives the body minerals that help cleanse the liver, aiding in the body’s ability to remove toxins.
What are your favorite ways to incorporate these cancer fighting foods into your diet? Share them in the comments below!