Sciatic nerve pain occurs when certain nerves become pinched in the lower spine along the sciatic nerve. This pain is intense and can run the entire length of your legs! Many people turn to pain medication or more invasive options to treat sciatic nerve pain, but there are natural and effective options!
Read on for 5 Natural Treatments for Sciatic Nerve Pain:
1. Chiropractic adjustments. A study published in the Office Journal of the North American Spinal Society found that after reviewing results from 102 adults who suffered sciatic nerve pain, those who received chiropractic adjustments experienced less localized pain, fewer days with pain, and fewer days of severe pain compared to those who did not receive chiropractic adjustments.
Doctors of chiropractic can identify specific subluxations in your spine that are causing the pain and inflammation along the sciatic nerve. They can then correct these subluxations, which actually treats your sciatic pain at its source!
2. Massage therapy. Massage therapy can help open the muscles and tissues along the nerve, improving blood flow and combating pain. Massage therapy is also associated with reduced back pain, muscle relaxation, and a healthy release of endorphins.
3. Get up and move. Sitting all day every day for hours at a time is terrible for your back. To relieve sciatic nerve pain, try a few stretches throughout the day and taking short walks to break up the sedentary lifestyle that many of us are accustomed to.
4. Use heating pads. An inexpensive heating pad placed on your lower back for 15-20 minutes each day can help relax the tight muscles and increase circulation, helping your body heal faster.
5. Reduce inflammation. Inflammation makes it harder to recover from any injuries and increases pain. To fend off inflammation and reduce pain, make sure you’re eating a nutrient-rich diet, getting plenty of sleep, and exercising!
If you’re experiencing sciatic nerve pain, please contact our office today! We can help treat your pain at its source!