Focusing on flexibility is an important part of any fitness routine. By stretching, you improve your range of motion, increase circulation, and calm your mind. These three things are not only crucial to protecting you from injury, but they also improve sleep and protect you from illness!
So what stretches should you incorporate into your routine? Check out these 5:
1. Runner’s Stretch: Step forward with your right food and lower into a lunge, placing your fingertips on the floor. Breathe in, then exhale as you straighten your right leg. Slowly return to the lunge position. Repeat 4x and switch sides.
2. Standing Side Stretch: Stand with your feet together and your arms straight overhead. Clasp your hands together with your fingers intertwined and inhale as your reach upward. Breathe out while you bend your upper body to the right and take 5 slow breaths. Slowly return to the center. Repeat on the left side.
3. Forward Hang: Stand with your feet hip-distance apart and your knees slightly bent. Interlace your fingers behind your back and breathe in while straightening your arms to expand your chest. Exhale and bend over at your waist, stretching your hands toward your head. Hold this stretch for 5 deep breaths.
4. Low Lunge Arch: Step forward with your right foot into a lunge and lower your left knee to the floor. Bring your arms in front of your right leg and hook your thumbs together with your palms facing the floor. Breathe deeply as you move your arms overhead, stretching as far back as you can. Take 5 deep breaths and switch sides.
5. Seated Back Twist: Sit on the floor with your legs straight. Bend your right knee and step your right food over your left leg. Put your right hand on the floor and bend your left elbow and turn to the right, placing the back of your arm against your right knee. Sit up straight and inhale. Exhale as you twist, pressing your arm into your leg and looking over your right shoulder. Hold for 5 counts and slowly return to the center. Switch sides.