Life and health is all about balance, so we wanted to offer our readers a few tricks that can help lighten up some of your favorite dishes! These food hacks can transform some of your favorite dishes from a 0 on the healthy scale to a 10! Check them out below:
1. Skip the carbs and invest in a spiralizer. Have a favorite dish that’s rich in carbs? Is your mama’s spaghetti the best thing you’ve ever eaten? Lighten it up by replacing the noodles with spiralized vegetables such as zucchini, carrots, squash, and more! You can find a great spiralizer on Amazon or similar sites for around $10!
2. Replace potatoes with cauliflower. Replace calorie-rich mashed potatoes with this recipe for cauliflower “mashed potatoes.” You’ll up your servings of great vegetables and lower your calorie consumption in one fell swoop.
3. Use applesauce instead of oil. If you’ve decided to treat yourself with a dessert, try subbing in applesauce instead of oil in the recipe. These applesauce chocolate chip cookies are delicious and reduce the fat content of the recipe.
4. Sub non-fat Greek yogurt for mayonnaise. Non-fat Greek yogurt is an easy substitution for any recipe that calls for mayo. In fact, Greek yogurt is as awesome, healthier sub for many recipes- check some out here!
5. Lettuce wraps are your new best friend. Want tacos with half the calories? Sub out taco shells and sub in lettuce wraps. Want to chow down on a delicious sandwich but are watching your carb intake? Lettuce wrap it. Craving a burger but wanting to cut calories? Lettuce bun, for the win. Most restaurants are also happy to accommodate this change!
What are some of your favorite food hacks for lightening up recipes and meals? Let us know in the comments below!