What are Ear infections?
Ear infections or Otitis media occur when there is inflammation of the middle ear that causes fluid to build up behind the eardrum.
They are extremely common in our world today – up to 80% of kiddos before the age of 2 will be curled up in a tight ball, lying in bed because their ear hurts. Most of these poor children will end up having multiple ear infections. Ear infections are so common in our world today that they are now considered to be a normal part of childhood.
Common symptoms to be on watch for:
- Ear pain
- Poor sleep
- Pus-like ear drainage
- Hearing loss
- Speech impairment
- Pressure inside of the ear
What Causes Ear Infections?
Ear infections are not just due to the fact that a child’s Eustachian tubes were accidentally designed to be too horizontal early on in the child’s life (which is what most pediatricians tell the parents of their patients).
Ear infections are essentially a “perfect storm” of several factors that come together as an emergent quality.
- Birth trauma or early childhood trauma to the neck, especially the upper cervical region. Due to modern birthing methods which include medieval tools such as forceps, suction cups, and grabbing babies by the head to pull them out during Cesarean births, birth can be a traumatic experience. Misalignments in the upper neck places stress on the nerves and affect the neurology that feeds into the ears.
- The Standard American Diet (SAD) that is full of poor nutrition, genetically modified foods, and processed food places a chemical stress on the child. The SAD consumption of food is highly inflammatory and thus, extra amounts of mucus is produced in the body, and of course, the ears.
- The abuse of antibiotics leads to antibiotics resistance in the child and affects how the immune system works. This is the key aspect in recurring ear infections later on in life.
- Antibiotics – this is the most common approach to dealing with ear infections. However, this approach is not only ineffective, but can also be dangerous. According to research by Dr. Anthony Ebel, “studies show that each time a child under the age of 2 is prescribed an antibiotic, it is increasing their risk of developing asthma and allergies later on by 2-4 fold. Now fast forward a bit and ask yourself if more kids suffer from allergies and asthma than they did just one generation ago? Plus if you’ve watched the news at all the past few years, you know that we now also have to deal with things called antibiotic-resistant “superbugs” which is caused by the misuse and overuse of antibiotics by our health care system and is a major problem.”Even the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends a watch-and-wait approach, because the evidence-based research about antibiotics is showing that not only are they ineffective at treating ear infections, but they will actually lead to repeated ear infection.
- Surgery – this is a common practice that is done for kids with chronic (repetitive) ear infections. A small hole is drilled in the eardrum and then a tube is placed in there to help relieve the pressure from the built up fluid in the ear. Although this procedure does work and it does help relieve the pain, within a few months, the body pushes the tube out and the hole closes. And then the child is back to square one because the underlying cause of the issue was not addressed.
- Chiropractic – this approach deals with the neurology of the child’s body as well as the mechanics of the neck, lymphatics, muscles, and nerves to ensure the proper drainage of the lymphatic vessels of the ear. Instead of simply attacking the virus or bacteria through the traditional medical model, chiropractic works on restoring proper function and drainage of the Eustachian tubes.
At Abundant Life Chiropractic, we specialize in a upper cervical based technique, which makes us a perfect match for those who are dealing with ear infections. Adjustments are done using an instrument, which means gentle and safe care for both children and adults. Call today at 952-300-8338 to schedule a no obligation consultation and exam at our clinic!
Call to Schedule Your Initial Consultation 952.300.8338