Arguably one of the most common diseases around the world, migraines and headaches are very multi-factorial in their causative nature. They also present themselves with a wide array of symptoms ranging from pain in the head to blurred vision and even may result dizziness and nausea.
Migraines are considered multi-factorial in nature, in that they can come from food, chemicals, phycological stressors, and physical stressors on the nervous system. Even though approximately 90% of migraines come from physical stressors on the nervous system, it is still important to consider the other 10%. Physical stressors consist of automobile injuries, sports injuries, whiplash, concussions, hard falls, and any repetitive micro trauma caused by poor sedentary posture.
Physical stressors will commonly cause damage to the spinal vertebra and nerves (specifically the nerves in the upper most neck). These nerves, not only cause neck tension, and problems turning the head left and right, but are also the same nerves that feed into our skull and head. When these nerves become irritated they will quickly surface with symptoms of migraines.
Thanks to our fast-paced American lifestyles, our day to day activities will commonly stress the upper neck structures, spinal vertebra, and cause irritation on these nerves. Activities ranging from automobile accidents, working extended hours at a desk or in a sedative position, and sports injuries put a plethora of stress onto the upper neck and spinal column.
Inappropriately treated concussions and whiplashes are the most common source of long term migraine headache symptoms. Prior to a concussion or whiplash injury, a large amount of force must go through the upper neck ligaments allowing them to shear, tear and bend. In turn, this allows the upper neck vertebra to slosh around and impinge the nerves that feed into the neck, resulting in migraines. If you have had a recent concussion or whiplash injury it is very important to have a diagnostic examination done by an upper cervical practitioner.
The doctors at Abundant Life Chiropractic are experts in treating Migraines/Headaches and their associated signs and symptoms. Being upper cervical practitioners, Dr. Knight and his teams’ specialty, lies in the first three bones in the neck. Upper cervical chiropractic care has proven over and over to be incredibly effective in treating migraines for a long-lasting correction instead of just a short-term fix.
Since everybody is different, and there is no cookie cutter solution to migraines headaches. That is Dr. Knight’s first promise, that you will be treated as an individual. Putting together the appropriate treatment plan for migraines lies within the individualized examination. Via a thorough examination and diagnostic motion X-ray analysis, we can get the exact measurements down to the millimeter of which bones are moving appropriately, and which ones are moving too much or too little, causing the migraines. From here, it is time to sit back and watch the pain melt away.
The first step in appropriately treating your pain, starts with a detailed consultation and examination. Call the office today at 952.300.8338 for a no obligation consultation so that you can get started on your path to freedom.